Ten things that delight me:
CHAMPAGNE! And I covet this little suitcase for one’s Veuve.
2. Beautiful soap with old-fashioned labels, like these from Claus Porto.
3. Charles Dickens’s characters, especially The Infant Phenomenon (aka Ninetta Crummles) from Nicholas Nickleby and the sublimely flustered Flora Finching from Little Dorrit.
5. (Really it’s #4, but being my own webmaster, I can’t manage to fix that). DOG shaming on the internet.
6. Knitting yarn, especially Shetland and Shilasdair from Scotland and cashmere lace yarn from Louisa Harding’s Yarntelier in England.
7. Really good chocolate. And I’m not talking Hershey’s kisses, either.
8. Beautiful embroidery and textiles. The older, the better.
9. Dog-foot violets.
My ten favorite books, in no particular order (as of today):
Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt
The Secret History by Donna Tartt
True Grit by Charles Portis ( Donna Tartt absolutely rules with the narration of the audiobook)
The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett (must be illustrated by Tasha Tudor). Secretly fueled my childhood longing to be an Abandoned English Orphan.
I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith (see above).
Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston (Ruby Dee’s narration of the audiobook is earth-shattering.)
Beloved by Toni Morrison
The Great Gatsby by F.Scott Fitzgerald
Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray. Love me some Becky Sharp.